The Ausführung A (or Ausf. A, "Variant A"), built in 1936, was the first mass-produced version of Panzer IV. It had the Maybach's HL 108TR engine, producing 250 PS (183.87 kW), and used the SGR 75 transmission with five forward gears and one reverse gear. Ausf. A achieved a maximum road speed of 31 kilometres per hour (19.26 mph). Its main armament was a short-barreled Kampfwagenkanone 37 L/24 (KwK 37 L/24) 75mm (2.95 in) tank gun, which was primarily designed to fire high-explosive shells.
The KwK 37 fired Panzergranate (armor-piercing shell) at 430 metres per second (1,410 ft/s) and could penetrate 43mm (1.69 in) at ranges of up to 700 metres (2,300 ft). The Ausf. A was protected by a 14.5mm (0.57 in) steel armour on the front plate of the chassis, and 20mm (0.79 in) on the turret. This armour could only stop artillery fragments, small-arms fire, and light anti-tank projectiles. Only 35 Ausf. A's were built, and in 1937 production moved to the Ausf. B.